Avionics Software Engineer
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
Boom is looking for an exceptionally talented Software Engineer to support the development, integration and testing of the flight software for the XB-1. As part of the small team you will be involved in the flight critical software development, telemetry integration, flight simulator software development, and software and hardware in the loop testing. The role requires working closely with the aircraft systems engineers and test pilots.
- Support the integration and testing of digital systems onto the XB-1 supersonic aircraft
- Develop flight software to support a variety of aircraft system requirements including, but not limited to, flight control software, fuel system monitoring, data acquisition, time keeping, telemetry, etc.
- Support the flight simulator including developing new features, integrating it with the control room, updating system models with flight test data, etc.
- Support continuous integration and deployment tools and workflow
- Support ground and flight test operations as a control room engineer
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering, mathematics, computer science or physics with 5 or more years of experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience
- Significant experience in C++
- Experience interfacing with I/O hardware including analog, discrete, and serial data
- Experience with socket programming and network communication including an understanding of the physical, data, network, and transport layers
- Experience developing automated test suites
- Exposure to a wide variety of software development standards
- Experience with real time operating systems and process scheduling
- Significant experience with Linux system administration
- Excellent communication skills — able to partner internally and research and interact with potential suppliers
- Experience in aerospace or automotive software development
- Experience with both hardware and software development strongly desired
- Experience with Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with DO-178 software development
- Experience with manned experimental aircraft flight testing. Working knowledge of sensors and flight test instrumentation, analog and digital I/O, and data synchronization
- Experience integrating COTS components including navigation, air data, and communication equipment into airframes
- Experience with homebuilt aircraft and experimental aviation a plus
The Base Hourly Range for this position is $140,000.00 - $180,00.00. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Something looks off?