Mass Properties Engineer - Technical Specialist 3
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a senior Mass Properties Engineer to join our team. You will be responsible for developing and managing the mass properties for Overture, developing the mass properties process at Boom, and supporting conceptual studies of additional supersonic Boom aircraft family members. Additionally, you will be a part of a world class team of engineers.
- Work hand-in-hand with the Integrated Product Team, Chief Engineer, Directors of Engineering, and Program Leadership to architect a world class approach to developing and managing the mass properties of Overture and future products.
- Establish weight management strategy to track weight risks, targets and status throughout aircraft development and production.
- Develop methods and processes for the Mass Properties department
- Is consulted by associates and others as a recognized authority within the field
- Develop and track the mass properties that will be the basis for loads development, and performance and cost evaluation.
Required Education, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering with 15+ years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and aerospace experience
- Experience on at least one aircraft program from initial concept through flight and certification
- Experience with SAWE RP7 (Mass Prop Management and Control for Military Aircraft) and RP8 (Weight and Balance Data Reporting Forms for Aircraft)
- Ability to estimate, calculate, and verify mass properties of components and assemblies in support of trade studies and drawing release.
- Direct experience with inertia estimation in support of aircraft loads development
- Experience in developing aircraft weight & balance manuals
- Experience in supplier weight control
- Experience in manufacturing weight control
- Experience in composite structures
- Self-starter who can multitask with minimal oversight
- Excellent problem-solving leadership skills; can lead a team through solving hard, complex, ambiguous technical problems
- Persuasive—must be able to establish support of internal and external parties alike
- Strong communication skills, the ability to interface effectively with different groups internally and externally
Preferred Education, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with Dassault Systemes Enovia and Catia
- Experience in supersonic aircraft
- Engine development experience
- Familiarity with T.O. 1-1B-50 (Basic Technical Order for USAF Aircraft Weight and Balance)
- Fundamental understanding of weight estimation parametric development
The Base Salary Range for this position is $144,000 - $198,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.