Senior Principal Engineer, Manufacturing Quality
The third era of AI has arrived, powered by Generative AI. Generative AI is achieving step-function increases in scale, versatility, and accuracy compared to legacy AI technologies, presenting an opportunity for organizations to fundamentally transform their business and operations.
SambaNova Suite™ is enabling organizations and enterprises to achieve the transformative promise of these new AI technologies with a fully integrated hardware-software system that delivers innovation across the full AI stack, including the most accurate generative AI models, optimized for enterprise and government. This creates the AI backbone for the next 10 years and beyond.
Working at SambaNova
SambaNova is changing the world of AI through revolutionary solutions including hardware acceleration for Machine Learning applications. This role is key to achieve on-time and on-quality delivery of the infrastructure hardware that is custom designed to power the AI-enabled hardware manufactured by our partners.
As a Senior Principal Manufacturing Quality Engineer, you will be working with supplier partners to successfully deliver new and released products at the right cost, schedule, and quality targets. You will collaborate with our ODMs (Original Design Manufacturers) and CMs (Contract Manufacturers) to ensure that production design, workflow, and assembly methods maximize operational efficiency based on current supplier capability. In this role, you will lead manufacturing process improvement to ensure sufficient capacity to meet our demand. This position requires working in close collaboration with Hardware Design Engineering, Strategic Sourcing, and Program Management.
- Lead manufacturing activities for new product development releases and production volumes to meet cost, schedule, and quality targets for L6 through L10/L12 rack assembly
- Work with worldwide manufacturing partners to communicate process workflow and any unique assembly methods
- Support cross-functional initiatives to drive cost, schedule, and manufacturing capacity improvements
- Collaborate with internal and supplier partners to innovate quality improvements to manufacturing and quality processes for achieving higher yield and throughput
- Participate in design review with the development team - Design for Manufacturing (DFM)
- Support commodity managers to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies by reviewing and assessing supplier manufacturing qualities and quality systems
- Provide supplier selection (RFI, RFP, RFQ, SOW) inputs and recommendations
- Qualify new suppliers and reevaluate existing supplier base by performing audits
- Lead the nonconformity resolution process with the suppliers in case of escalated quality or technical issues and ensure the effective root-cause analysis and the countermeasure implementation by the suppliers
- Monitor and consolidate the supplier delivery and quality KPI’s, the critical non-conformities escalated from the factories
- Identify the top concern suppliers within the region or specific category
- Manage and communicate manufacturing activities within a collaborative cross-functional environment, communicating risk and recovery activities when necessary
- Drive manufacturing continuous process improvement
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience with manufacturing products and process development for large-scale, complex infrastructure hardware
Additional Required Qualifications
- Experience with international supply chain and contract manufacturing qualities
- Demonstrated manufacturing leadership and project management experience, including lean and six-sigma practices
- Experience in product design, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, and quality control standards
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams inside and outside the organization including external CM’s (Contract Manufacturers) in global regions
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the capability to negotiate and handle difficult situations
- Ability to work under pressure and on fixed timescales
- Ability and willingness to travel approximately 25% domestically and internationally
- Strong manufacturing skills in a high-tech, dynamic growth industry
- Focus on Quality: Experience driving work results with a quality focus on actions and results
- Decision Making & Analysis: Experience making sound decisions based upon a mixture of data-driven analysis, expertise, experience, and judgment; ability to collect relevant information, seek input from others, and identify connections and/or root causes of problems
- Continual Improvement: Experience displaying a consistent orientation toward producing the highest quality product
- Excellence in driving FACA (Failure Analysis and Corrective Actions) with CMs and ODMs using systematic root cause analysis process
- Teamwork: Experience working cooperatively with others to accomplish team goals and organizational objectives
- Communications: Proven ability to exchange thoughts, feelings, and information effectively
- Encourage and Manage Innovation: Experience mining the creative ideas of others; nurturing and managing the ideas that may improve processes, systems, products, and services
- In-depth understanding of DFM in a hyperscale AI hardware infrastructure manufacturing with ODMs and CMs
- Proficient in AI inference and training hardware manufacturing quality
- Experienced in manufacturing quality of datacenter hardware
Annual Salary Range and Level
The base salary for this position ranges from $180,000/year up to $210,000/year. This range is based on role, level, and location and reflects the salary target for new hires in the US. Individual pay within the range will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s job-related qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location.
SambaNova offers a competitive total rewards package, including the base salary, plus equity and benefits. We cover 95% premium coverage for employee medical insurance, and 80% premium coverage for dependents and offer a Health Savings Account(HSA) with employer contribution. We also offer Dental, Vision, Short/Long term Disability, Basic Life, Voluntary Life and AD&D insurance plans in addition to Flexible Spending Account(FSA) options like Health Care, Limited Purpose, and Dependent Care. Our library of well-being benefits includes a full subscription to Headspace, access to One Medical, counseling services with an Employee Assistance Program, and much more.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at SambaNova Systems you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
If you are a new, recent (within the last two years), or upcoming college graduate and are interested in opportunities with SambaNova Systems, please apply through our University job listings.
SambaNova Systems is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Customers turn to SambaNova to quickly deploy state-of-the-art AI capabilities to meet the demands of the AI-enabled world. Our purpose-built enterprise-scale AI platform is the technology backbone for the next generation of AI computing. We enable customers to unlock the valuable business insights trapped in their data. Our flagship offering, SambaNova Suite™, provides the most accurate generative AI models, optimized for enterprise and government organizations, deployed on-premises or in the cloud, and adapted with an organization’s data for greater accuracy