Principal Engineer, High-Speed IO Design / Integration
The era of pervasive AI has arrived. In this era, organizations will use generative AI to unlock hidden value in their data, accelerate processes, reduce costs, drive efficiency and innovation to fundamentally transform their businesses and operations at scale.
SambaNova Suite™ is the first full-stack, generative AI platform, from chip to model, optimized for enterprise and government organizations. Powered by the intelligent SN40L chip, the SambaNova Suite is a fully integrated platform, delivered on-premises or in the cloud, combined with state-of-the-art open-source models that can be easily and securely fine-tuned using customer data for greater accuracy. Once adapted with customer data, customers retain model ownership in perpetuity, so they can turn generative AI into one of their most valuable assets.
Working at SambaNova
This role presents a unique opportunity to shape the future of AI and the value it can unlock across every aspect of an organization’s business and operations. SambaNova Systems is hiring a senior-level High-Speed IO Design and Integration Engineer who will be responsible for the design, integration and post-silicon bring-up of high-speed IO PHYs and interconnect. You will play a unique and critical role in the design and productization of the SambaNova DataScale® system, and you will be provided with cross-functional learning across the hardware and software stack with opportunities for growth in a fast-growing AI system company.
- Be the domain expert on high-speed IO architecture and protocols for SOC/system definition
- Drive adoption of the latest IO technology and evaluate performance/implementation tradeoffs
- Evaluate third-party PHY to meet chip and system PPA requirements
- Perform PHY integration with PCS/Controller/MAC and other subsystem components
- Define high-speed IO implementation requirements for the package and system
- Review system-level design choices, power delivery and SI/PI simulations for IO interconnects
- Interface with IP vendors to resolve any PHY-related issues during pre- and post-silicon phases
- Support the chip physical design team and provide clocking and timing guidelines
- Take a leadership role in post-silicon bring-up of IO and memory subsystems
- Define PHY boot-up initialization and reset flows
- Perform system-level electrical debug and root-cause analysis through the bring-up, validation and production phases
- BS or MS in EE, ECE or CS
- 7+ years of experience in silicon development with 5+ years in high-speed IO
Additional Required Qualifications
- Experience with analog/mixed-signal design, specifically with high-speed transceivers
- Good understanding of transceiver building blocks like PLL, RX/TX equalizers, CDR architecture, serializers/deserializers
- Experience with the PHY/physical layer electricals for one or more protocols like Ethernet, PCIe, CXL, HBM, and UCIe
- Experience with IP integration related methodology and flows
- Experience working with third-party vendors
- Must have done at least one full cycle SOC design from concept, all the way to post-silicon bring-up and productization
- Good leadership skills and ability to multi-task and thrive in a dynamic environment
- Design experience with ADC-based Serdes and PAM4 signaling
- High-speed Serdes bring-up and characterization experience in the lab
Annual Salary Range and Level
The base salary for this position ranges from $165,000/year up to $210,000/year. This range is based on role, level, and location and reflects the salary target for new hires in the US. Individual pay within the range will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s job-related qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location.
SambaNova offers a competitive total rewards package, including the base salary, plus equity and benefits. We cover 95% premium coverage for employee medical insurance, and 80% premium coverage for dependents and offer a Health Savings Account(HSA) with employer contribution. We also offer Dental, Vision, Short/Long term Disability, Basic Life, Voluntary Life and AD&D insurance plans in addition to Flexible Spending Account(FSA) options like Health Care, Limited Purpose, and Dependent Care. Our library of well-being benefits includes a full subscription to Headspace, access to One Medical, counseling services with an Employee Assistance Program, and much more.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at SambaNova Systems, you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
If you are a new, recent (within the last two years), or upcoming college graduate and are interested in opportunities with SambaNova Systems, please apply through our university job listings.
SambaNova Systems is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Customers turn to SambaNova to quickly deploy state-of-the-art generative AI capabilities within the enterprise. Our purpose-built enterprise-scale AI platform is the technology backbone for the next generation of AI computing.
Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, SambaNova Systems was founded in 2017 by industry luminaries, and hardware and software design experts from Sun/Oracle and Stanford University. Investors include SoftBank Vision Fund 2, funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, Intel Capital, GV, Walden International, Temasek, GIC, Redline Capital, Atlantic Bridge Ventures, Celesta, and several others. Visit us at sambanova.ai. Follow SambaNova Systems on Linkedin.