Principal Aircraft Performance Engineer
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking an Aircraft Performance engineer with civil certification experience to join the Overture team. You will be responsible for providing technical leadership starting in the preliminary design stage through developing performance certification and flight test plans and preparing Overture for certification.
- Developing the certification plan, means of compliance, and interpreting issue papers related to aircraft performance.
- Collaborating across key disciplines (mass properties, flight controls, propulsion, flight sciences, structures, etc.) to deliver required performance data.
- Guiding team efforts on the development and maturation of performance tools and data to support design and certification efforts.
- Analyzing flight test and wind tunnel data to support the development of the aircraft performance database.
- Developing, reviewing, and approving performance data for airplane flight manuals, operations manuals, and certification compliance reports.
- Coordinating with aviation authorities (FAA, EASA, etc.) regarding compliance with aircraft performance regulations.
- Developing and reviewing applicant positions for Issue Papers and CRIs.
- Supporting the development of the AFM
- Coordinating responses to data requests and questions from potential customers and operators regarding published performance data as well as supporting marketing efforts to provide customized aircraft performance requests.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to less-experienced engineers.
Required Education, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering or physics with 10 to 15 years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience.
- A strong understanding of fixed wing subsonic aerodynamics, propulsion, and performance.
- A thorough understanding of aircraft flight characteristics, first-principles analysis, and performance methods.
- Previous FAA Flight Analyst DER or a qualified candidate for DER.
- Previous experience with executing a performance certification plan.
- Strong skills in communication, collaboration, and leadership.
Preferred Education, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with transport category aircraft certification programs (Part 25).
- Experience with the conceptual design phase of aircraft development.
- Advanced Engineering Degree.
- Experience in supersonic aircraft.
- Experience using MATLAB.
The Base Salary Range for this position is $156,000 - $214,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.